THIS PROCESS IS UNDER REVIEW, PLEASE CHECK WITH RABBI EDERY IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS
The date selection process begins when your child is part of the 6th Grade Class, and it is at that point that your son or daughter is now eligible to begin the process of selecting a date for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah. To start the Bnei Mitzvah Date Selection Process, you will need to contact the Beth Shalom Bnei Mitzvah coordinator, who also maintains the Bnei Mitzvah calendar. For those of you that have had a previous child go through this process, there have been a few changes since then. Please check with the Bnei Mitzvah Coordinator for all BLOCKED dates, which include Rabbi’s planned vacation, High Holidays, and other Temple holidays/events when Rabbi is not available..
Listed below is the Date Selection Process. If you have any questions, please send him a note at [email protected]. Dates cannot be selected prior to the Bnei Mitzvah Orientation for your class.
- To start this process, contact Hal Zenick at [email protected]. Hal is the Lead Bnei Mitzvah tutor and he will do a Hebrew Skills Evaluation Test with your child. This should be done about 15 months prior to your selected date but no later than 10 months prior to your date. After that evaluation, a plan for preparing your child for his/her Bar/Bat Mitzvah will be created. At the completion of this evaluation, you will be given the OK to complete the Date Selection process by completing the Date Selection Request Form. There is a spot on this form for Hal to initial. This should be completed before the form is submitted to the Temple Office.
- Contact the Bnei Mitzvah Coordinator at [email protected] to request a date for your Bar/Bat Mitzvah, if you haven’t done so previously. He/she maintains the calendar and it is best to contact him/her via e-mail to make sure of date availability.
- Fill out the rest of the “Request for Bar/Bat Mitzvah Date” form that is accessible via the left navigation bar. This form must be completely filled out. If you have already talked to the Bnei Mitzvah Coordinator, you do not need to fill out an alternate date but keep in mind that his acceptance of a date is only tentative. Rabbi , Lead Bnei Mitzvah Tutor, and Director of Jewish Education must all approve the requested date and that does not happen to until after the form has been submitted…. The form must be signed by the Bnei Mitzvah student as well as the parents. Forms WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED without these signatures.
- Complete the form and return it with the appropriate fees to the Beth Shalom Office
- The Request for Date is then sent out for approvals which can take up to 3 weeks.
- When this final step has been completed, Bnei Mitzvah Coordinator will send out a Confirmation letter to the Requester and then the date is put on the Master Calendar.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Bnei Mitzvah Coordinator if you have any questions or issues.